Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Pimp C


What seems to be an all-too-common theme in Hip Hop, today the genre is mourning the loss of yet another of its stars, Pimp C of UGK fame.

I won’t front like I was up on the UGK and most of the Houston scene. I stopped listening to anything that came out of Texas the day that Willie D wasn’t in the Geto Boys anymore. But I did listen to early UGK, as my man Fresh Marcus put me down with their major label debut, Too Hard To Swallow way back in 1992. Fifteen years later, and UGK was still putting out music. If you really think about it, no one of significance has been in the game that long. No one outside of Scarface in Texas has even approached that length.

I would tire of the Houston scene, the constant car references, syrup, being draped up, the slower chopped and screwed beats. As De La once said “I’m not hating just because I don’t like it.” But I respected it; these guys could rap. You heard a creative wordplay, there was any mumble mouthed chorus that didn’t mean anything, the beats took some time, you heard scratches. It was Hip Hop, and again it faces another loss.
CHECK IT:

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Hercules Rockefeller said...

RIP Pimp C.

I still dig on Slim Thug.

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bun B was was the real lyricst in that group. Pimp C was a character though.

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home