Friday, March 05, 2010

Friday Funk: I Got It Made



SPECIAL ED'S CLASSIC "I GOT IT MADE" - SOME RANDOM FACTS, MEMORIES, AND THOUGHTS:

-Ed had a cameo appearance in the film Juice, although it was uncredited. He played the new man of Raheem's baby mama Keesha. Ed is rolling hard in the film in a Nissan Sentra. Geo Storm passed on the free pub.
-I checked with my Cajun friends and "alligator souffle" isn't a common dish.
- "Make a million dollars every record that I cut." Damn, Ed had some bomb ass royalty points back in 1989.
-Real name: Ed Archer
-DJ Premier sampled the lyrics on Group Home's "Supa Star"
- "Treaty with Tahiti" Yes, unknown to many world scholars is that Ed did possess a great diplomatic skill. He negoitiated a treaty with the South Pacific island in which he got a percent of land and they got some Brooklyn bodega quarter waters.
-Ed appeared on an episode of The Cosby Show as the rapper JT Freeze. No relation to Kid Frost.
-The track samples a group named Ripple and their track "I Don't Know What It Is, but It Sure Is Funky" from 1973.
-Yes, Ripple, Fred Sanford's favorite drink. Go into your local liquor store and ask for ripple. Props to anyone that actually gets a clerk that knows what the hell it is.
-The track peaked at #9 on the Billboard Rap Singles Chart.
- "I got a dog with a solid gold bone." Those dudes from all the 1-800-Buy-Gold sites would be freaking out over that.
-While in college my homie Kid Ci$co took another song from this album, "Fly MC" and transcribed word for word for his poetry class. He received an "A". Apparently the professor had not been getting her Word Up magazines.
-Jay-Z references the track in "Empire State of Mind." Props to Hov for referencing an old school classic, but ironically Ed is a few years younger than Jay-Z.
-Ed was 16 years old when this video came out.
-Ed had a friendship with Malcom Jamal Warner of The Cosby Show, and MJW even directed his video "Im The Magnificent (Remix)"
-Ed included that remix on his second album Legal, I made a big deal about the record when it came out and went and bought it the first day it was available. Listening to it with some chick I was trying to get with (of course a young Commish knew all the words- it had been out since the prior year) but she was impressed, even saying "This CD just came out and you know the words?!" Damn straight, now get me a day glo comb to get this mullet straight.
- "I'm not a Puerto Rican but I'm speakin so that 'jou know'" Oh, I get it! All these years I thought it was a reference to Alaska's capital.
-For some reason, my folks used to let me make the outgoing answering machine message back in the day. The background music if you call the Commish House back in 1989? Damn, straight, "I Got it Made." No word if the business associate calling for Pops busted into the running man.
-The High School in the video is Erasmus Hall in Flatbush, Brooklyn.
-The producer on the track was Hitman Howie Tee and the entire album Youngets In Charge was released in May 1989.
-Howie's most popular rap single other than this might've been Chubb Rock's "Treat Em Right", but his most popular pop hit was none other than Color Me Badd's "I Wanna Sex You Up"
-Special Ed was not considered to be a member of that group; although he did rap on the group's follow up single "I Adore Mi Amor" where he rocked a silk shirt and rapped in Spanish.
-I made that last part up.
-Ed raps "you burn me...really?" Ed was known to rock flame retardant jackets.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous poop de jour said...

The hovercraft and Larry Bud Melman in his next video.

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
I have developed a new clean web 2.0 wordpress theme.

Has 2 colours silver and blue, has custom header(colour or image).
I am curently working on it, so if you have suggestions let me know.

You can view live demo and download from here www.getbelle.com
If you found bug reports or you have suggestions pm me.
Wish you a happing using.

many thanks to [url=http://www.usainstantpayday.com/]USAInstantPayDay.com[/url] for paying the hosting and developement of the theme

BineSnunSeKiz

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Fresh Marcus said...

'Nuff respect, Commish. For some reason, I couldn't stand that song for about 20 years. You have to like it now, though.

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home